The United Nations Global Compact
is a platform for business and non-business entities to proactively network and engage in areas of human rights, labour, environment, anti-corruption and contributing to UN goals in order to achieve the common objectives of building a sustainable and inclusive global economy.
With more than 10,000 participants spread across 145 countries, the Global Compact is constantly expanding its reach and enhancing opportunities for engagement. The 10 principles are:
- Principle 1 – Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights
- Principle 2 – Make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses
- Principle 3 – Businesses should uphold freedom of association & effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining
- Principle 4 – The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour
- Principle 5 – The effective abolition of child labour
- Principle 6 – Eliminate discrimination in respect of employment and occupation
- Principle 7 – Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
- Principle 8 – Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
- Principle 9 – Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
- Principle 10 – Businesses should work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery.
Aceitunas Torrent, for second consecutive year, supports this initiative by submitting its Global Compact report and has tried during this time to respect and promote internally and externally the 10 Global Compact principles by engaging both the managing team and employees of the company.